Wednesday, November 14, 2007

In motion

So it has been while..and guess what things are actually sort of busy here, yes I know! No really things have been going pretty well these past five months or so and I am really really happy. I just found out that the Returned Peace Corps Volunteers of Los Angeles approved funding for a World AIDS Day event I am putting together with a local youth group. It is going to be a basketball tournament and HIV/AIDS information fair. I am a little nervous, I feel like its just like putting my programming event hat on again but this time Im in Mali, with not a lot of money or resources, a different language and people who work only have the day BUT it will be okay : ) I had meetings with the youth group and its awesome seeing them in action. Each person providing their opinion, joking around, getting ideas down and debating about how to organize things, it is really rewarding to just watch them. The plan for the event is to invite NGOs and other PCVs to host tables about HIV/AIDS and any other health related topics.


SOS SIDA group members

The youth are going to perform skits and maybe have a HIV/AIDS fighting themed rap performance! Watch out 50 Cent, they've got skill AND a positive message. Its exciting but I also have to remind myself that keeping it slightly small and contained would be smart since I don’t feel as “in control” as I do if I was planning something like this in the states. There is also all the official Malian protocol of making “important” people feel important that needs to be done, which I don’t always like to do but must.

Check out our t-shirt design. Let me know if you wanna buy one, only $5! The funds will go to paying for HIV/AIDS trainings in villages and official registration for the youth group.


Back



Front

I've been running around here in Bamako for the past couple of days gathering things for the event. The CDC and Embassy were great and donated water bottles, tshirts, bags and 6000 condoms. I am gonna try to watch all these freebies cause you know I dont want to make it a freebie fest--We're here to talk about HIV/AIDS here!! Anyway it is exciting and nerve-racking at the same time.

I am enjoying life even without this event going on. My friends are great, my homologue is supportive and humbling, Boo is still crazy and I am healthy. For now I cannot complain.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so happy for you Trinhy. I got your email about working for the Hillary campaign--- I will be applying so thank you for that. And damn---- you need to work on your blogging capabilities. I mean, I know the kind of access you have to the internet... ;)
love you-- Michele

Unknown said...

Oh wait---- I definitely want a t-shirt, and i know tim would too. Where/how do we send the $$?